Thursday, October 29, 2009

Its been a while...

So I have actually been meaning to do this for days but keep forgetting. Anyway here it is. Things are going good here. As Dad mentioned in the Hillyard Herald, Meric and I are looking into being foster parents. We submitted our application and had an interview with a social worker. She will determine if we are accepted into a 10 week course (starting in January) that teaches us how to deal with some of the issues the kids might have. The course is also designed to help us get to know the other people who will also be foster parents, kind of a support group. After the 10 week course, the social worker will give all our information to a review board and they will determine if we can become foster parents. Now when a child is taken from theit parents and placed into foster care the goal is to reunite them with their parents eventually. There are some situations where the parents either lose or give up all rights to their child and the child then becomes available to adopt. Our ultimate hope is to adopt, but even if it is for a little while we would like to give a child a good home. So that is where we are now. It will be a while before we know more.

A couple of weekends ago Meric and I did a volksmarch. Apparently it is a German tradition where you walk a lot and drink beer. It was a nice walk around a lake and we were encouraged to bring the dogs, so we went. It was a lot of fun and the dogs loved it. We got a stein for doing the walk and the dogs got treats.

Last weekend Meric discovered a new hobby, geocaching. For those who don't know it is kinda like a scavenger hunt. There are marker all over, you get the coordinates and you go find it. They are marked according to their difficulty. When you find it some have boxes where you take a trinket out and put a new one in its place, while others are just lists that you write your name on. Then you go to the website, mark found and write a little bit about finding it. I make fun of Meric for doing it, but it is actually fun when you find it.

So the other night Meric and I went out to dinner. We get our order and are enjoying our food and about half way through the meal they bring out our order again. We told the waitress we already got our food and she said "oh well, it touched the table I can't take it back" So we got 2 for the price of 1. Leftovers worked well for lunch.

BFL update: We are actually sticking to the diet and exercise! Well kinda, we haven't done our cardio days because we overdid it on our backpacking and volksmarch. Meric's knee is bugging him and my hip is sore. So right now we are letting our injuries heal, but I plan to start running again next week and we are doing good on the weight lifting. As I bragged to Tiffany and Dany, I made a great cheesecake that was diet friendly. Thats right cheesecake while on a diet! I am really enjoying trying new recipes and changing them around to fit the diet but taste good all at the same time.

One last thing. Meric and I got our tickets for going home on Christmas and I am not coming to Spokane. I was playing around with the idea of heading to Spokane when Meric headed back to NC but I didn't want to be away from him on New Year's Eve so I won't be heading to Spokane. Hopefully I can figure out a trip sometime after the 10 week course for foster care. (I can't miss a class or they will make me take it again)

Anyway I guess I have rambled enough for now. I know you all have a lot going on so blog about it!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. So is beer part of your dieting plan??? Maybe it wasn't the exercise that you overdid at volksmarch, hmmmmm?!?!? Maybe no cardio because you're still buzzed or hung over???? Sorry Mandy, you left yourself open on this one!!

    ReplyDelete